Donate to Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

Героям Слава! (Glory To The Heroes!)



You will get a T4A slip if you received any amounts from the following COVID-19 benefits:

  • Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with the CRA
  • Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)
  • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
  • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
  • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
  • Provincial or territorial COVID-19 financial assistance payments

These benefit amounts are taxable and any amounts received before December 31, 2020, must be reported on your 2020 tax return.

T4A slips for COVID-19 amounts

The CRA will provide one T4A slip that includes all the COVID-19 benefit amounts you received from the CRA. Each benefit will have its own box number on your T4A slip.

If you have not received your T4A slip, you can get a copy from CRA My Account, but if not, then call the CRA.

Quebec resident will get both a T4A slip and a RL-1 slip.

Your province or territory will provide separate T4A slips for COVID-19 financial assistance payments.

Adjusted T4A amounts

If the CRA adjusts any of your COVID-19 amounts, you may receive one of the following slips:

Amended T4A
If the CRA adjusts your COVID-19 benefit amounts, you will receive an amended T4A slip for your records:

  • If you still have to file your 2021 tax return – Use the amended T4A slip to report your COVID-19 benefit amounts on your tax return
  • If you already filed your 2021 tax return with your original T4A slip – The CRA will automatically adjust your 2021 tax return with the amended COVID-19 benefit amounts and no further action is required by you
Cancelled T4A
If the CRA verifies that you did not receive any COVID-19 benefits, you will receive a cancelled T4A slip for your records.

If you have already filed your 2020 tax return with COVID-19 benefit amounts from your original T4A slip, the CRA will automatically adjust your tax return.

Other tax slips you may receive

You may get other tax slips in addition to the T4A slip:

If you received employment income in 2020, you will see new box numbers (57, 58, 59, and 60) at the bottom of your 2021 T4 slip. These boxes are only for CRA use and no action is required by you.
These amounts include employment income paid between March 15 to September 26, 2020, which are already included in box 14 of your T4 slip.

Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)

If your employer received the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) to cover part of your wages, it be will be included as regular employment income on your T4 slip.


Verify your benefit amounts

All CRA-administered COVID-19 benefits for individuals will be included on one T4A slip and each benefit will have its own box number.

T4A COVID-19 benefit box numbers

If you received more than one benefit with the CRA or made repayments, verify your benefit amounts are correct. To confirm the COVID-19 benefit payment amounts received, you can review “COVID-19 Support Payment Application Details” in CRA My Account. This chart will not include any repayments you made.

If you repaid a benefit or paid a tax instalment

If you repaid a CRA COVID-19 benefit in 2020 or paid a T1 tax instalment, your payment may have been allocated to one of your other CRA accounts. Be sure to review all letters and notices you receive from the CRA, including payment summaries, tax slips, and other documents. Confirm the information and amounts are correct.

If you repaid benefit amounts:

  • before December 31, 2020 – repayments should be reflected on your 2020 T4A slip (you won’t pay tax on repaid amounts on your 2020 taxes)
  • after December 31, 2020 – you will be taxed based on the full amount shown on your 2020 T4A slip (repayments will be reported on your 2021 T4A slip and claimed on next year’s tax return as a deduction)

If any amounts are incorrect, they can be corrected by calling the CRA. Follow the instructions under Resolve issues with your T4A slip.

COVID-19 benefits on your T4A slips

If you received a T4A slip, your COVID-19 benefit amounts are shown in boxes 197 to 204:

Find your T4A COVID-19 benefit box numbers

Add up each COVID-19 benefit payment amount you received from your T4A slip and enter the total amount on line 13000 of your tax return.

In the space to the left of line 13000, specify the type of income you are reporting. For those filing by paper, attach a list of all benefits received.

Report income tax deducted at source

If you received the CRB, CRCB or CRSB, the CRA withheld a 10% tax at source on each payment. Enter the income tax deducted from box 022 on line 43700 on your 2020 tax return.

For Quebec residents, the 10% tax withheld at source is split:

CRB repayments for net income above $38,000

If you received the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) and your net income is more than $38,000 (excluding CRB amounts), you may have to repay part or all of the benefit you received.

Any repayments owed will be included as part of your total balance owing for your 2020 taxes.

Filing your return electronically

If you are filing electronically with certified tax software, the amounts you need to repay should be calculated for you and added to your balance owing.

Filing by paper: Complete the worksheet for the return

Tax exempt income

If your income is eligible for tax exemption under section 87 of the Indian Act, some of the COVID-19 benefit payments you received may be tax exempt.

CERB and the recovery benefits (CRB, CRCB, CRSB)
The benefit payments you received will be taxed or tax exempt in the same way as the total income earned during the timeframe that entitled you to the benefit (2019 or the last 12 months). If your income was:

  • entirely tax exempt, then the benefit would also be tax exempt
  • partially tax exempt, you may have pay some tax

All recovery benefits (CRB, CRCB, CRSB) payments had a 10% tax withheld at source, even if your income was tax exempt. You may be able to get some or all of that tax back by filing a 2022 tax return.

CESB: The CESB is not tax exempt under section 87 of the Indian Act.

If you are not sure if your income is tax exempt, or need more details:
Taxes and benefits for Indigenous peoples