Before you apply
You will have to answer a series of questions to determine your eligibility to CRB.
Confirm you are currently registered with the CRA
Set up direct deposit
If you use direct deposit, the payments will take about 3 to 5 business days to be deposited into your bank account.
Check impact on your social assistance benefits
When you can apply
You may start applying on the first Monday after the 2-week period you’re applying for has ended. Applications do not renew automatically.
You must apply for each period separately. You may apply for any period you are eligible for that is open for application, including up to 60 days after the period has ended.
Determine when to apply
Apply online or by phone
Make sure you’re properly set up. Refer to: Before you apply.
Read the Privacy Statement
We may validate your application before issuing your payment
The CRA is validating applications to ensure that payments are available for people who need them most.
When you apply, we may ask you to provide additional information. Only some people will need to do this, but you may want to prepare before you first apply.
If your application needs validation
We may ask you to provide the following items.
If you are or were an employee
- Recent pay slips
- Employment verification letter, including salary, if accessible online
- Record of Employment
- Bank statements showing name, address, and payroll deposit
If you are or were self-employed
- Invoice for services rendered that includes:
- the service date
- who the service was for
- the name of the individual or company
- Receipt of payment for the service or services provided (a statement of account or bill of sale showing a payment and the remaining balance owed)
- Documents showing income earned from a “trade or business” as a sole proprietor, an independent contractor, or a partnership
- Any other document that will confirm you earned $5,000 in employment or self employment income
If you receive provincial or federal benefits related to maternity or parental leave
- Statement of benefits
- Bank statements showing, name, address, and benefit deposit
How to submit your validation documents
Submit your documents through CRA My Account
Send your documents by fax
Your application may take up to 4 weeks to process from the date we receive your complete response. We will contact you once the validation is complete.