Donate to Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

Героям Слава! (Glory To The Heroes!)



Who must notify the CRA of the change of address?

Anyone earning revenue in Canada must update their address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA).  For most of us, when we talk about changes of address with the federal government, we mainly refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). By changing your address with CRA, it will not change your address with other federal benefits programs (e.g. EI, Pension, SIN, etc). You will have to contact each program call centre respectively. 


In the recent CERB audit, CRA may try to contact you by mail to collect evidence that you have met the criteria to collect CERB. You must ensure you have the most updated address with CRA. If you do not respond to their request due to undeliverable mail to your old address, you may be penalized. Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure your address is up to date with the CRA CERB program.

How to change your address with the CRA?

You can change your address with the CRA in four ways:

  1. Online using CRA’s MyAccount service. If you do not already have an account, you can register freely. Please note that to create a new account, certain information is required, some of which are included only on your annual tax return.
  2. By phone at 1 800 959-8281
  3. Mail or fax one of these two documents to your local tax centre:

4. You will also have the opportunity to provide your new address to the CRA on your annual tax return. The new address will automatically be updated in your file.

Important things to know!

Before calling, you should have the following information ready to provide:

  • Your social insurance number;
  • Your name;
  • Your complete address;
  • Your date of birth;
  • Details from your account or your most recently assessed return, a notice of assessment, reassessment, or other tax documents.