Each eligibility period is a 4-week period with a specific start and end date. When you apply, you will receive a payment for the specific eligibility period you applied for.
You can only apply for one eligibility period at a time. If your situation continues, you must re-apply for another 4-week eligibility period.
You do not need to include supporting documents as part of your CESB application, but the CRA may ask you to provide them at a later date to verify your eligibility.
The CESB is available to eligible post-secondary students, post-secondary graduates, and students who have recently left their post-graduate studies.
You can start applying during the May 10 to June 6 eligibility period. If your situation continues, you must re-apply for another 4-week eligibility period.
Eligibility periods for post-secondary students:
- May 10 to June 6, 2020
- June 7 to July 4, 2020
- July 5 to August 1, 2020
- August 2 to August 29, 2020
Keep your transcripts, tuition receipts, and other supporting documents, in case the CRA asks you to provide them at a later date to verify your eligibility.
Graduating high school students
The CESB is only available to eligible students who:
- completed or expect to complete high school or equivalency in 2020
- applied to a post-secondary educational program that starts before February 1, 2021
If you complete high school or equivalency:
- before June 7, 2020, your completion date must be before the start of the first eligibility period you are applying for
- after June 7, 2020, you can only apply for 2 eligibility periods, starting from the July 5 to August 1 eligibility period
In case the CRA asks you to provide information at a later date to verify your eligibility, keep documents showing:
- completed requirements for graduation in 2020
- proof of attending a post-secondary program that starts before February 1, 2021